Five-spice Barbecue Pork Ribs
This recipe is taken from Leiths latest cookery book, Leiths Meat Bible.
Drinks: Chilled lager or beer
- 4 racks of baby back ribs
- 1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
- For the marinade
- 300ml pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- Tablespoon peeled and grated fresh root ginger
- 3 tablespoons dark muscovado sugar
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the spare ribs in a non-corrosive dish or large plastic bag. Mix the marinade together. Pour over the ribs, then cover with cling film or seal the bag. Leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at lease 2 hours, or overnight
- Heat the oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3.
- Transfer the spare ribs and marinade to a roasting pan, cover with foil and bake in the centre of the oven for 2 hours, or until tender.
- Allow the ribs to cool in the marinade.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade and set aside.
- Place the marinade in a saucepan, add the chopped tomatoes with their juice and boil to reduce to a sauce.
- Heat a barbecue or grill.
- Brush the ribs gently with the sauce and grill until browned and slightly charred.